Thursday, February 18, 2010

Birth Story

For those of you that are interested and also for my own records I thought I would write out the story of Landon's birth.

Well as you may have read in my earlier post I was not dilating or effacing very quickly on my own so I had an induction scheduled for Friday February 5th. That morning I got up and finished getting the last of my things packed and ready to go. The entire time I kept thinking 'this is the last time I will do this pregnant'.

I got a call from the hospital around 9:00 that they wanted me to be there within an hour. So we got everything situated to leave Jocey and off to the hospital we went. We got all set up in our labor & delivery room and they started my pit drip. About 10:30 the nurse checked my cervix and I was still only dilated to 1cm. It was going to be a long day. So we sat and began our long wait.

The nurse checked me again around 12:00 and I was still only at a 1. Ugh I was getting very anxious. They informed me that my doctor was going to come and break my water in just a little while and since I was started to get some uncomfortable contractions I decided I would get my epidural.

At around 2:00 the nurse checked me again and I had finally moved to a 2. Shortly after that my doctor came in and broke my water. We were all hoping that this would help to speed things along. So again we sat and waited and waited.

A few hours later the nurse came to check me again and I was dilated to a 3. After sitting for several hours I had only moved 2cm. This was taking forever, but the nurse assured me that once I got to a 5 things should move faster.

Just before the nurses switched their shifts at 6:00 my nurse came in
to check me again and I had finally reached the 5cm mark, Yay!! Since it had taken me so long to get this far we decided that we still had sometime and Brent would go home to check on a few things with Jocey.

My new nurse came in about 6:30ish and checked my cervix I was dilated to a 6+ and I was beginning to move quickly. The baby had dropped down into a +1 station which was causing his heart rate to drop. So they decided to lay me on my side and gave me some oxygen to help.

The nurse checked me again about 7:00 and I was almost complete. So I had my sister (who was keeping me company) call Brent and have him hurry back. At this point I was stressing because the baby's heart rate kept dropping and my husband was not there, but the nurse assured me that they would do their best to wait for Brent to get back.

About 10 min later Brent walked in followed quickly by my doctor, they got everything set up and within minutes and I was ready to push. So the next contraction came and 3 pushes later at 7:28 my beautiful baby boy was born. I still can't believe how much I love this little guy.

(more pictures coming soon)

0 comments: